Susan, yes, there has been some research on the real person. He lived and farmed with his brother Anton until Anton was found dead of an (accidental?) gunshot; then Joe lived the rest of his life near his sister, who had become a nun (Sister Rogata), in Indiana. He died in 1919 of influenza. If you're interested in more digging, we have that family research here at the National Willa Cather Center.

Liz, thanks for the great resources. Josh, excellent points.
Tracy Sanford Tucker
Education Director & Certified Archivist
Affiliate Fellow, Center for Great Plains Studies

The National Willa Cather Center
413 North Webster Street, Red Cloud, NE 68970
Phone: 402-746-2653 | Toll Free: 866-731-7304

www.WillaCather.org | www.VirtualCather.org