All:  I absolutely agree with what Eric posted.

Will also add that I enjoyed what Tony Maynard wrote in the subject line of an email he sent me earlier with a link to the Economist article:  “Breaking News- Wheel Invented.”  That is often exactly the way that I feel about Mokyr’s work though I must say that his books have been magnificently documented so that there is a needed specificity to his arguments about cultural change.  I have not yet read the most recent book but would imagine that it continues in his style.

For any who may be interested in pursuing the relationship of Mokyr’s arguments to those of earlier Institutionalists, I will suggest my article “Clarence Ayres, Technology, Pragmatism and Progress,” Cambridge Journal of Economics 34:1: January 2010:213-222.

--Anne

From: AFEEMAIL Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Hake, Eric R
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [AFEEMAIL] Mokyr's book, "A Culture of Growth"

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for sharing -

I’ve been thinking lately about how we use culture as institutionalists.  The popular political discussion refers to the culture wars, in the plural.  I’ve been thinking we’re simply trapped in The culture war,

Divergent economists struggling for the relevance of the concept of culture to the job of economic analysis.

Yes, there is the reductionist problem of using the concept of cultural as a universal determinant.  In that way, the concept of culture suffers from the same problem as utility maximization, capable of explaining everything and nothing.

But if instead, we think about culture being the rules we use to set the rules, we can get a little closer to the level of understanding and framing that institutionalists usually feel comfortable with.  Of course, there are rules for setting the rules, and even rules for breaking the rules.  Perhaps what our society needs to do is understand and then break the rules that are used to break the rules.

Anyway, thinking about the significance of cultural analysis to various heterodox traditions, perhaps it would be useful to think of Marx’s analysis as an early application of the concept of culture – the overdetermined super-structure that defines capitalism, I’m thinking fits that broader concept of culture.  Perhaps there are plenty of Marxists that have already pointed this out, as suggested by the Post-modern Marxist work. In the Veblenian tradition, the pecuniary, predatory, and ceremonial aspects of social organization suggest a cultural matrix that is not always instrumentally purposeful. While technological elements are also embedded in this notion of culture and the rules for making the rules, conceptual constructs, etc.

In this way, I’ve always thought the reliance in economics on utilitarian and rational agent assumptions was actually a proposal for the assumption of supra-rationality – rational beyond any cultural framework or constraint.  It suggests a universal and non-culturally relevant basis for analysis, which is the reason so many economists can claim to be scientists, value-free, etc, etc, etc. As institutionalists realize of course, the common language of economics has an imperial tone.  We talk about efficiency as if there is no reason to ask the question – efficient for whom? Slavery was efficient? Feudalism? Marriage? Really?

Unfortunately for institutionalists, trapped in The Culture war with other economists, those least capable of admitting their own cultural pre-conceptions are also the most dogmatic defenders of the idea that such limitations don’t exist. They are committed to the concept of a self that does not recognize it self as unique. Some naïve autism, to use that less diplomatic criticism of neoclassical economics.

Oh well.  Waller was right. It’s culture all the way down.

Eric

--

Eric R. Hake

Dean, Ralph W. Ketner School of Business
Elias B. Saleeby Professor of Business
Secretary-Treasurer, Association For Evolutionary Economics www.afee.net
Faculty Advisor, SMIF

CATAWBA COLLEGE
Scholarship.  Character.  Culture.  Service.

Admin B, 2300 W. Innes St. Salisbury, NC 28144-2441
704-637-4293
704-637-4422 (fax)