*Music and Disruptive Pasts: Between the Popular and the Arcane*

*Jennie Lee Building, The Open University, Milton Keynes*

*21-22 August 2019*

Registration and programme available at:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.eventbrite.co.uk_e_music-2Dand-2Ddisruptive-2Dpasts-2Dbetween-2Dthe-2Dpopular-2Dand-2Dthe-2Darcane-2Dtickets-2D62503978081&d=DwIBaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=3bAspvkuT--vz-p37H0FRYAML0bT4bS3nkLXsdYhPkg&s=N5c8MBtxwJl-DpgTkAR8Q4q4YIsYOUzpIANsv1Iz6hI&e=

The past is not mere history. In the creative imagination it is, indeed, a
fractious and disruptive place where the atemporal logics of anachronism
govern, and strict chronological narratives peculiar to the modern period
become suspended. More than a bygone space there to just learn from, the
past has a life of its own, in turn refracting and transforming our present
and colouring and informing (perhaps, even, delaying) the future.

The fourth conference of the Representations of Early Music on Stage and
Screen (REMOSS) study group, this event seeks to widen its perspective,
bringing its interest in the popular (re-)representations of early music in
the present into dialogue with a set of broader questions about how music
operates in a (New) media landscape where the past figures prominently and
in transformational way.

For a map of the OU Campus go to:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.open.ac.uk_about_main_sites_www.open.ac.uk.about.main_files_files_ecms_web-2Dcontent_Campus-2DMap.pdf&d=DwIBaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=3bAspvkuT--vz-p37H0FRYAML0bT4bS3nkLXsdYhPkg&s=2jFwknunmQSHYppvSKmoakLKObv0aliR3TwFzy3mG1Y&e=

If you have any questions, please contact Dr Alexander Kolassa,
alexander.kolassa -at- open.ac.uk