Hi Gail!
No, I didn't think of using airdrop, since I've not tried it. I'm glad
it worked for you.

I've got the photos uploaded through Image Capture this morning,
easy-peasy without a hitch (as it should be). They are the full res and
file size that they should be.
I have trashed all the "Photos" conversions. I will not do further
testing to see if dragging or importing makes a difference in Photos. I
have no patience with that program.
I am moving on to now processing the 4000 photos from the trip.
Onward!
More coffee, please.

Cheers,
Linda