Hi All:

I am downloading my conference photos from my iPhone to my desktop. I
use "Image Capture" with a hardwire USB cable. About half way through
the 600 photos, it froze.
After four tech support folks, trying to get the rest to download, the
final tech person suggested I turn OFF iCloud syncing, and pull them to
my computer from Photos application. all the photos were there, and I
clicked and dragged the half that I was missing.

Apparently they were already uploaded to Photos application on my
desktop computer because ICloud was turned on on both my iPhone and the
desktop.  Now, I've been told that Photos reduces the sizes of all
images to small JPEGS. That would be horrible because I want the highest
resolution that the photos were originally taken. So, that's why I use
Image Capture. I want them on my computer, not the Photos, nor the
Cloud, or anywhere else but my computer in a designated file.

Now I CAN upload the photos from my iPhone to Image Capture, because it
is not incumbered by ICloud. NOW I notice that the images for both JPEGS
and .MOV, are smaller once they were dragged and dropped to my computer
from Photos application. The tech folks said they would not be reduced,
that Apple had fixed that, or changed that, etc.  I had something
clicked with a blue check mark to "keep originals" the same size.

Now a 30.5MB .MOV file from Image Capture is shown as a 18.3MB .mov file
when I drag it from Photos.
A JPEG file at 9.3MB  from Image Capture is shown as a 6.2MB file when
dragged from Photos. Photoshop says they are the same size and ppi.

So any other ideas on why they are reduced coming through Photos?  What
gives?

Many thanks in advance.