Hi Clara!
Since I shoot both RAW and JPEG, I prefer to upload them directly to my
hard drive using Image Capture into labeled folders on my hard drive,
and then are also saved in Time Machine backups. I apply tags  in Adobe
Bridge. I re-lable them according to job usage and species.
I have bought the Adobe Creative Suite for years and like Bridge for
searching and metadata.

I manipulate the photos in Photoshop. I save the adjusted file along
with the original file, depending on the potential for future usage in
another format (from Fbook to visitor center murals). I always keep the
original files as is.

I'm pretty much tied into Photoshop, althoooooo..... there were some
really cool technique demos for other products.  Very tempting..... but
since I have to purchase Photoshop Suite anyway, I'll stick to it until
I don't need to any more.

My long-term thinking is that other software can manipulate RAW and JPEG
files, so If I archive them on the hard drive, not in "Photos", then it
might be easier to try new products, if I ever leave Adobe products.

I'd love to learn about the new products. I admit I stick to the
old-school, without time to experiment with some of these really cool
alternatives. Other members may have favorites and I hope they chime in
also, maybe on another thread?? Might be a good article for "Ripped from
the List" in the GNSI Journal?

Thanks for bringing this up, Clara.
Best cheer,
Linda