Hi Lynette,
I'm using OS 10.14.6 right now, and my Microsoft Office products (2011) still open but are buggy and slow. I'm in the gradual process of switching over to Apple's versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint because I don't want to keep upgrading the Office products and I've never loved them anyway. I don't worry about Adobe products because, with a monthly subscription, I have automatic access to upgrades. I'm not really sure what you mean about Adobe wanting to "control" the Mac, so I don't how helpful this is!
Best of luck,
---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration