Thank you, Karen.
This certainly has become more complicated. A simple task of downloading
original images should not be that hard. It's never hard with my DSLR
images, downloading with Image Capture. It is only problematic with
downloading from the iPhoneX.

I'm not sure I can copy a photo from the iPhone to a thumb drive without
some sort of program that helps download.

The current Photos is a combo of four early programs, pulling all the
various features together. One early one re-sized as default.
Therefore,  I have avoided Photos like the plague, because I don't care
for it's organizational system, nor photo adjustments, nor anything the
program does, in fact.  Photos seems to try to think for me, and that
will not do.

I'm not moving large numbers of files, I tested uploading one to a dozen
photo images at a time.

Thank you so much for your thoughts!
Best cheer,
Linda

____________________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC
P.O. Box 325, Hereford, AZ 85615
520.803.0538
www.lindafeltner.com
On 7/15/19 4:51 PM, Karen Ackoff wrote:
> I think you are making things more complicated than they need to be.
> File size depends somewhat on the drive and size of packets. Try
> copying a file to a thumb drive and then check the file size and
> compare it to the same file and on your hard drive.
>
> Photos should not alter the size of images as far as I am aware.
> Sending a photo via email may change the size, depending on what
> option you choose.
>
> I have had trouble moving large numbers of files - some folders will
> be copied but not their contents. So it’s always a good idea to check
> that files are being copied. If you want to copy a large number of
> files, I’d clone them using a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner.
>
> As they say, YMMV.

> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:41 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> I am downloading my conference photos from my iPhone to my desktop.
>>> I use "Image Capture" with a hardwire USB cable. About half way
>>> through the 600 photos, it froze.
>>> After four tech support folks, trying to get the rest to download,
>>> the final tech person suggested I turn OFF iCloud syncing, and pull
>>> them to my computer from Photos application. all the photos were
>>> there, and I clicked and dragged the half that I was missing.
>>>
>>> Apparently they were already uploaded to Photos application on my
>>> desktop computer because ICloud was turned on on both my iPhone and
>>> the desktop. Now, I've been told that Photos reduces the sizes of
>>> all images to small JPEGS. That would be horrible because I want the
>>> highest resolution that the photos were originally taken. So, that's
>>> why I use Image Capture. I want them on my computer, not the Photos,
>>> nor the Cloud, or anywhere else but my computer in a designated file.
>>>
>>> Now I CAN upload the photos from my iPhone to Image Capture, because
>>> it is not incumbered by ICloud. NOW I notice that the images for
>>> both JPEGS and .MOV, are smaller once they were dragged and dropped
>>> to my computer from Photos application. The tech folks said they
>>> would not be reduced, that Apple had fixed that, or changed that,
>>> etc.  I had something clicked with a blue check mark to "keep
>>> originals" the same size.
>>>
>>> Now a 30.5MB .MOV file from Image Capture is shown as a 18.3MB  .mov
>>> file when I drag it from Photos.
>>> A JPEG file at 9.3MB  from Image Capture is shown as a 6.2MB file
>>> when dragged from Photos. Photoshop says they are the same size and
>>> ppi.
>>>
>>> So any other ideas on why they are reduced coming through Photos?
>>> What gives?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>> Linda
>>>
>>> --