Hi Gail!
No, I didn't think of using airdrop, since I've not tried it. I'm glad it worked for you.

I've got the photos uploaded through Image Capture this morning, easy-peasy without a hitch (as it should be). They are the full res and file size that they should be.
I have trashed all the "Photos" conversions. I will not do further testing to see if dragging or importing makes a difference in Photos. I have no patience with that program.
I am moving on to now processing the 4000 photos from the trip.
Onward!
More coffee, please.

Cheers,
Linda