Hi Clara!
Since I shoot both RAW and JPEG, I prefer to upload them directly to my hard drive using Image Capture into labeled folders on my hard drive, and then are also saved in Time Machine backups. I apply tags  in Adobe Bridge. I re-lable them according to job usage and species.
I have bought the Adobe Creative Suite for years and like Bridge for searching and metadata.

I manipulate the photos in Photoshop. I save the adjusted file along with the original file, depending on the potential for future usage in another format (from Fbook to visitor center murals). I always keep the original files as is.

I'm pretty much tied into Photoshop, althoooooo..... there were some really cool technique demos for other products.  Very tempting..... but since I have to purchase Photoshop Suite anyway, I'll stick to it until I don't need to any more.

My long-term thinking is that other software can manipulate RAW and JPEG files, so If I archive them on the hard drive, not in "Photos", then it might be easier to try new products, if I ever leave Adobe products.

I'd love to learn about the new products. I admit I stick to the old-school, without time to experiment with some of these really cool alternatives. Other members may have favorites and I hope they chime in also, maybe on another thread?? Might be a good article for "Ripped from the List" in the GNSI Journal?

Thanks for bringing this up, Clara.
Best cheer,
Linda

Linda M. Feltner Artist LLC
P.O. Box 325, Hereford, AZ 85615
520.803.0538
www.lindafeltner.com
[log in to unmask]"> So Linda,

If you eschew Photos — what do you prefer?

-Clara
who doesn’t like Photos but isn’t willing to be beholden to Adobe forever, although I probably will be.