Hi Gail,

Husband Bart had a really old iPad mini I gave him ages ago. Basically nothing will work until you update the operating system but if you don’t have enough memory to do that you’ll need to empty everything out onto an iOS specific thumb drive and then update and put things back afterwards. Or you can just use it for pics  to look at as you mentioned below.

The one he found and liked was the SanDisk iXpand drive purchased on eBay. It used a lightning port so you’d have to use your adapter. The memory on his is tiny because I didn’t realise how much he’d end up using it at the time (learned that lesson!) So it’s basically plugged in all the time so he can access books and manuals, but at least the operating system is kept up to date now.

Hope you find something that works nicely for you.

Cheers,
Tig