From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Frank T. Krell <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 7:51 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Entomology collection in Côte d’Ivoire?

Hi Barry,

There is no national or public insect collection in Côte d’Ivoire. Over ten years ago, I tried to establish the former ORSTOM collection in Adiopodoumé as national insect collection, but my Darwin project was rejected at the las possible opportunity. Then my student tried to organize it without funding, because this valuable collection was housed in a shabby little building. She managed to get a dedicated collection room, painted it, and then somebody else moved in.

The collection, originating from the French times, might still be in that shabby building, now under the auspices of CNRA (Centre National de Recherche Agronomique), or not. I haven’t been there for over 10 years. At the time, a biotechnologist was responsible for the collection.

If anybody has more up to date information, I would be happy to hear it, but I would not send any material down there based on my current knowledge.

Cheers

Frank

Dr. Frank-Thorsten Krell

Senior Curator of Entomology, Editor-in-Chief

Commissioner and Councillor, International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature

Department of Zoology

Denver Museum of Nature & Science

2001 Colorado Blvd

Denver, Colorado 80205-5798, U.S.A.

Phone 303.370.8244

Fax 303.331.6492

https://science.dmns.org/museum-scientists/frank-krell/krell-lab-entomology-program/

Leonardo da Vinci: Inventor, artist, scientist, anatomist, engineer, architect… Experience his extraordinary legacy in Leonardo da Vinci: 500 Years of Genius, open through August 25, and presented in Denver by the Sturm Family Foundation. And explore beyond your five senses in Our Senses: Creating Your Reality, open through August 4.

The Museum’s strategic objective is to increase the number and diversity of people who connect with the Museum around nature and science in ways that are meaningful to them.