Indeed.  It feels like the passing of an era as well as the passing of a kind man.

Dell

Sent from Mail<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__go.microsoft.com_fwlink_-3FLinkId-3D550986&d=DwIF-g&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=CKtzFCCP4eqPJ4QkPCBpzbZBS1uq44YoWkq7soh_cgk&s=2cA3DAfSUgLb2HWS2r-R1BKz-c4cpwVRm6pshE4fiXY&e= > for Windows 10

________________________________
From: AFEEMAIL Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Hake, Eric R <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2019 10:55:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Harry Trebing 1926-2019

Greetings AFEE colleagues -

I thought this would be an appropriate place to share news of Harry’s passing. I greatly appreciated his support over the years, and know AFEE lost a good friend yesterday.

Eric Hake

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

HARRY MARTIN TREBING
September 14, 1926 to August 15, 2019

Dear Family and Friends:

We are sorry to inform you that our father, Harry Trebing, died on Thursday, August 15, 2019.  He passed away peacefully in his sleep, with our mother, his beloved Joyce, at his side (as always) along with us, his grandchildren and dedicated caregivers.  He died in Washington, D.C., where he had been living in an assisted care center.  The cause of death was Multiple Myeloma.

Mom and Dad had just celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary on June 28th.  His passing leaves a void impossible to fill.  Whether discussing public utility regulation, the more nuanced aspects of Wagner’s operas, the pending restoration of his beloved Dodge Brothers sedan or another equally diverse – yet fascinating – topic, his good humor and dedication to family and friends transcended all things.  We can take great comfort in knowing the world is a much more interesting place because of him.

Several years ago, his great friend, the late Dr. David Schwartz, wrote a marvelously heartfelt testimonial to Dad, celebrating their friendship that spanned more than half a century.  You may already have it, but we thought it would be a nice remembrance so we have included it here.  It’s called “Crossing the Rubicon with Harry Trebing.”

Dad will be buried in the family gravesite in Baltimore, with a small private service at the cemetery.  Please, no flowers.  We ask only that you remember Dad and Mom in your thoughts and prayers.

Mom is doing well under the circumstances.  Her health is quite good, but dementia is taking its toll on her memory but not her wonderfully upbeat spirit.  She will be 92 on August 23rd.  Her address is:

Joyce C. Trebing
5901 MacArthur Blvd., Apartment 366
Washington, DC 20016

Beyond family and friends, Dad’s life was dedicated to education.  Years ago, we set up a scholarship in Economics to honor both Mom and Dad and to support students following the path that was so important to him (and to many of you, too).  If you would like to make a memorial contribution, it may be sent to the Harry M. and Joyce C. Trebing Scholarship at Michigan State University.  A check made payable to “Michigan State University” (which includes the name of the scholarship on the memo line) can be mailed to:

Michigan State University
University Advancement
535 Chestnut Road, Room 300
East Lansing, MI 48824

Memorial contributions can also be made online by following the link below and typing the name of the scholarship in the “areas to support box.”

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__givingto.msu.edu_gift_-3Fappeal-3D20MASWB1WAYS&d=DwIF-g&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=CKtzFCCP4eqPJ4QkPCBpzbZBS1uq44YoWkq7soh_cgk&s=AIw8WfsoKjzY1jrrcv0Tcsh7cC5K6JtEfGdRUPABIwE&e=

Dad – who never learned to use a computer – would roll his eyes at something like that, and hand it off to Mom!

Thank you for being part of Dad’s life.  You made it truly a memorable mosaic.

Sincerely,

David Trebing                                                             Evan and Jody Trebing
3900 Cathedral Avenue NW, #802A                       9301 Ashmead Drive
Washington, DC 20016                                              Fairfax, VA 22032
(313) 683-1586                                                           (202) 256-1989
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>                                       [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

[cid:[log in to unmask]][cid:[log in to unmask]][cid:[log in to unmask]]

--
Eric R. Hake
Dean, Ralph W. Ketner School of Business

CATAWBA COLLEGE
Scholarship.  Character.  Culture.  Service.
Admin B, 2300 W. Innes St. Salisbury, NC 28144-2441
704-637-4293
704-637-4422 (fax)