The Department of Music at the University of Alberta invites applications
for a tenure-track position in Musicology. Applications will be considered
at the rank of Assistant Professor, starting July 1, 2020.

We are seeking a scholar with a record of successful teaching and
demonstrated potential for research and scholarly achievement, who can
contribute to the department’s commitment to diversity and cultural
engagement, and complement our current faculty strengths in
ethnomusicology, music theory, popular music, and performance. A
comprehensive knowledge of Western Art Music is crucial, especially of the
musical practices of the 18th through 20th centuries; however, we welcome
secondary areas of expertise, including interdisciplinary and collaborative
approaches to musicology.

Required qualifications include a PhD in Musicology (ABD may be
considered); primary expertise in Western Art Music, with knowledge of
analysis; evidence of active musicological research; evidence of successful
teaching; strong writing ability and a commitment to fostering excellent
writing skills in students; aptitude for collaborative and
cross-disciplinary engagement with all the department’s sub-areas,
including performance and composition.

Primary responsibilities of this position include teaching core
undergraduate courses in Western Art Music history, as well as leading
graduate courses and seminars. In addition to sustaining the department’s
vibrant curriculum of courses, the successful applicant will develop new
seminars in their area of research expertise. Additional teaching
responsibilities of the position include graduate supervision and service
on supervisory and examination committees across all disciplines and areas
within the department.

The successful candidate will be expected to develop or continue a strong
record of personal research, as appropriate to the discipline, in both
national and international academic venues. The Department of Music values
and expects a commitment to service both to the academic (department,
faculty and university) and larger professional communities.

Apply online at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.careers.ualberta.ca_Competition_A110939843_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=EYShAVejkB5Jb69DS-M3aIo5c84voO-uj3mbtrPQxsE&s=_yz0mQtPVz9ht3el2DU0ARJwX2fji4PTTRF9OH9MnDk&e=