Hi All:
I have been contacted by one of the four members of the contingent from
the Zhejiang Museum of Natural History. This group came to the GNSI 2017
Conference in North Carolina, meeting many of us at the Portfolio Review
night. They wish to purchase a specific painting of mine for their
collection.

I wondered if anyone had recommendations for international shippers, and
also independent insurance?  The contract states they will provide
shipping insurance, but I am researching purchasing independent
insurance for artwork.

I have shipped a lot through UPS internationally to exhibitions. I have
purchased insurance through UPS, however if anything ever was damaged
(yes, I know many horror stories) it will be a tedious process to prove
the claim, especially if it's original art.  A long time ago, FEDEX
offered "insurance" but it was not really insurance, one just paid for a
high-value declaration. The fine print used to say $250 max, altho you
pay for declaring a multi-thousand dollar painting.  I don't ship with
FEDEX for that reason - but their policy may have changed, of course. I
have friends who prefer to ship through them.

I am a naturally cautious businesswoman, especially when it comes to
international shipping and sales. Your thoughts are very welcome.
Best,