Erin,

Everyone has given you good advice, which tells you what a supportive group science Illustrators are!

I would add graphite to your list of traditional skills. It is, perhaps, the best traditional media for developing value and form and is entirely forgiving (erasable).

Along with the GNSI, join organizations of your special interests. Not only will you learn more about the science, you can begin developing a network of contacts for future freelance work.

Once you’ve built a portfolio and want feedback, share it with us. Many of us on this listserv will be happy to advise you further.

Best wishes,
Gretchen Halpert

www.gretchenhalpert.com
www.gretchenhalpert-distanceprogram.com