Unfortunately yes, I heard about this through my work at Annual Reviews, a nonprofit scientific publisher. For a long time we have relied upon a handful of freelance science illustrators to help us with overflow figures or busy times of the year. But since this law passed, we are no longer hiring independent freelancers because essentially they are doing the same work we do in-house (minus author correspondence). Instead, when we need overflow help, we must hire a temp illustrator or two. I think the difference is the temp illustrator is treated as a part-time employee with benefits.

I don’t know the whole story, but I think the intention of this law was to protect contractors from those shady employers who tried to hire freelancers for lower pay and no benefits.

However I can see how this may make it harder for some creative types to find freelance work (without having to apply for a part-time or temp position first)!

Has anyone else been directly impacted by this California law?

Fiona