I get a “Mariner’s Policy” through my business insurance for specific artworks (shipping artwork for commissions or art going to shows)—you can also get the same on your homeowner’s insurance. It essentially attaches a rider for whatever full value you assign to your artwork, no independent valuation needed. Artwork is covered during shipment as well.

My understanding is that FedEx will only reimburse for the “hard costs” of the artwork. For example, frame, paper, etc. not the art itself. That may have changed.

When I send artwork to an exhibition, I give my insurance agent the value of the artwork and they attach the rider covering it. It covers me for a year. If I sell the artwork, however, or when it ships back, I call and cancel and they pro-rate the charge. I think the most I’ve paid during a ver busy year with a lot of art coming and going is about $200. There is a deductible so be sure to check on that.

Hope this helps!

Deb

Deborah Shaw

Sent from my iPhone
Please excuse brevity, autocorrect and typos