Erin,
Sure, it's possible. Looks like a good list of goals you've put together. To that list I'd add: Become familiar with intellectual property rights and licensing practices. More details about that and additional advice here:
https://emilydamstra.com/resources/a-career-in-science-illustration/

Also: Attend next summer's GNSI conference and take some workshops there.
---
Emily S. Damstra
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario