Cather Colleagues:

Elaine Smith and I are pleased to forward to you the call for papers for Un/Tethered, the 2020 Spring Conference to be held in Red Cloud June 4-6.

This conference will commemorate the centenary of the publication of Youth and the Bright Medusa and position Cather at the cusp of the '20s. We're thinking about Youth and the Bright Medusa, Cather's first publication with Alfred Knopf, as an untethering moment in her writing career, allowing her to soar into the extraordinary achievement of the 1920s; about the characters in that volume who are negotiating the tension between cutting the ties to their own origins and feeling the tug back home; and about the historic unmooring from the pre-Great War world that launched the Roaring '20s.

Some programming is already in place: Alex Ross of the New Yorker will deliver the keynote address and Nebraska artist Michael Burton will present an animated installation based on "A Gold Slipper" from Youth and the Bright Medusa.

More details will follow, and the website will be updated frequently in the months to come, but we hope the attached will set you thinking about contributing to the day of paper presentations.

Please share this cfp far and wide! Drop copies of it from a hot-air balloon . . .

Diane & Elaine

Diane Prenatt, Ph.D.
Professor of English Emerita
Marian University