Applications are invited for an Assistant Professor in Music from 1 September 2020. The successful candidate will have expertise in teaching in the field of music analysis and contribute towards the teaching of musicology in general. The post will include teaching undergraduate modules which may include: Analysis 1: Elements of Tonal Theory and Practice (Level 1), Theory and Analysis (Level 2), and Studies in Symphonic Analysis (Level 3). The Assistant Professor will be expected to contribute to the development and delivery of our curriculum (lectures, tutorials, seminars, workshops) at UG and PG Level. The successful candidate will conduct high-quality research in their field of expertise and they will be expected to develop connections and interdisciplinary dialogue between the field of expertise and other areas supported by the Department. The successful candidate will be entitled to apply for research leave and research support in accordance with University and Departmental guidelines.

The University provides a working and teaching environment which is inclusive and welcoming and where everyone is treated fairly with dignity and respect. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate these key principles as part of the assessment process.

The Department

The Department of Music at Durham University is one of the very best in the UK, and indeed worldwide, with an outstanding reputation for excellence in teaching and research. We were ranked third in the last national research evaluation (REF2014) in terms of the quality of our work. We attract exceptionally talented undergraduate, MA and doctoral students, and we focus on high quality research-led teaching. We also regularly attract postdoctoral fellows to the Department with funding from national and international research councils and foundations. The department delivers very high levels of overall student satisfaction. In student-facing guides and league tables we are regularly ranked as the number one Music Department in the UK (Complete University Guide 2018, 2019, and 2020; The Sunday Times University League Table 2017, 2018 and 2019; Guardian University League Table 2019).

For more information about the Department, see https://www.dur.ac.uk/music/

To apply: https://www.dur.ac.uk/jobs/recruitment/vacancies/musi20-1/