Call for Papers: “Within and Without: Les Six at 100”

CFP Deadline: September 30, 2019
Conference Dates: January 16-18, 2020
Location: Princeton University, Princeton, NJ

The Princeton University Department of Music is pleased to announce an upcoming conference, “Within and Without: Les Six at 100,” to be held in Princeton, New Jersey from January 16th through 18th, 2020.

Commemorating the centennial of the publication of the article by Henri Collet that christened the group, this conference celebrates the lives and music of composers Georges Auric, Louis Durey, Arthur Honegger, Darius Milhaud, Francis Poulenc, and Germaine Tailleferre—artists whose modern sound changed the course of French musical history.

We invite scholars of all disciplines to submit proposals for thirty-minute presentations (a twenty-minute paper plus a ten-minute talkback) on these six composers (whether as members of Les Six or as individuals), their music and collaborations with artists of all media, their artistic and broader cultural contexts, and their creative and intellectual legacy. We especially encourage presentations that reflect the conference theme, “Within and Without,” which could include such topics as the composers’ joint projects, their multimedia works, the politics of the collaborative, etc. as well as issues like exclusion, influence, and identity.

The conference will feature lectures by Drs. Jane Fulcher, Barbara Kelly, Deborah Mawer, Christopher Moore, Caroline Potter and Marianne Wheeldon, as well as a memorial concert of works by the six composers.

Proposals can be submitted to Campbell Shiflett (cps –at– princeton.edu) for consideration by the Conference Committee, and must be received by September 30, 2019 (deadline extended). Please limit the main text of your submission to 300 words.

Alternate-format presentations, such as lecture-recitals, posters, etc. will also be considered, as will proposals for pre-formed panels.

We are also currently looking into the possibility of publishing a conference proceedings. If you would like to be considered for such a publication, please indicate so in your submission.

We hope to notify applicants of the status of their submission in early October.

Please address all questions to Campbell Shiflett: cps –at– princeton.edu