The Department of Art History and Music at Fordham University seeks a full-time tenure-track Ethnomusicologist/Musicologist at the rank of Assistant Professor, with a specialization in Afro-Latinx musics, to begin in Fall 2020. Candidates should possess: a terminal degree in (ethno)musicology, a dynamic research program, demonstrated effectiveness as a classroom teacher.

The successful candidate will be responsible for advanced courses in ethnomusicology, and Latinx/Afro-Latinx musics, directed toward upper-level students in Music, Latin-American Studies, and African-American Studies. They will also cover introductory surveys aimed at the general student population, in Latin-American and/or Afro-Latinx musics. An ability to teach introductory-level classes on Western art music traditions or another geographical area is desirable. The successful candidate will collaborate with, and contribute to, the Latin American + Latino Studies Institute, and will offer courses cross-listed with the Department of African + African-American Studies, and the Department of Sociology + Anthropology. Cultural and intellectual pluralism is essential to the excellence of Fordham’s academic program: we strive to foster an academic culture and campus community that attracts and supports the development of stellar and diverse faculty reflecting the global environment in which we live and work. As such, we are especially interested in candidates whose specialties could lead to collaborations with faculty and organizations in the Department, across the University, and in the larger metropolitan area, especially within the overwhelmingly Latinx/Afro-Latinx + Afro-Diasporic communities of the Bronx.

Fordham University operates in the Jesuit tradition, in which a high-quality education is viewed as a path to leadership and service, and a call to human excellence. Students learn each subject’s implications for what it means to be a human being and what we may contribute to the future well-being of the world.

Fordham is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. Women, people of color, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.

Review of applications will begin on Fri. 11 Oct. Candidates should submit via Interfolio (https://apply.interfolio.com/68514): a Letter of Application, a CV, three letters of reference, and a writing sample (article, book chapter, or equivalent).