CFP Deadline: 5 April 2020
Conference dates: 27-29 November 2020
Location: Lucca, Complesso Monumentale di San Micheletto
Are not Born
Female Musical Works from 1750 to 1950
• Mariateresa Storino (Conservatorio di Musica ‘G. Rossini’, Pesaro)
• Susan Wollenberg (Oxford University)
The conference aims to investigate the music and the role of women
composers from 1750 to 1950.
The programme committee encourages submissions within the following areas, although other topics are also welcome:
• Gender and genre: women
composers and musical genres
composers’ impact on the development of musical forms and genres
• Analytical and hermeneutic approaches to women
composers and their self-belief in the context of contemporary views on female creativity
• Reflections on women
composers’ position in the history of music
• The critical reception of women
• ‘Heroines of the Risorgimento’: music as a means of conveying patriotic and liberal ideals in women
• Social expectations and possibilities of professional training for women
composers’ writings about their music (and that of others)
• How has the social status of women
composers been changing along with the transformation of the socio-cultural context?
The official languages of the conference are English, French and Italian. Papers selected at the conference will be published in a miscellaneous volume.
Papers are limited to twenty minutes in length, allowing time for questions and discussion. Please submit an abstract of no more than 500 words and one page of biography.
All proposals should be submitted by email to <conferences -at- luigiboccherini.org
For any additional information, please contact:
Dr. Massimiliano Sala
conferences -at- luigiboccherini.orgwww.luigiboccherini.org