The editors of French Historical Studies seek articles for a special issue
on music in the Francophone world to appear in 2022.

The history of the music of France has traditionally been studied as a
separate category without the same robust interest as other cultural
artifacts such as film and literature. More recent scholarship illuminates
the place of music in French society and suggests that more work should be
done to sketch out the particular place of music in all its forms in French
history.

This special issue of French Historical Studies proposes to take stock of
and advance this historiographical renewal. What can the production and
consumption of music tell us about the shifting nature of French identity
and the relationships among various constituencies in French history?

We seek a wide range of approaches to reflect the variety of recent
scholarship, which includes music from outside the Hexagon. We define music
in the most inclusive way to cover art music, religious music, and popular
music, as well as its producers, interlocutors, and audiences. We encourage
submissions that assess the changing spaces of musical production,
development of music industries, variations in media (sound recording,
video, and file sharing as examples), the conditions of circulation

Submissions on all periods, from medieval to contemporary, are welcome.
Queries about submission and other matters should be addressed to the guest
editors: William Weber (william.weber - at- csulb.edu) and Jonathyne Briggs
(jwbriggs -at- iun.edu).

To submit an article, visit www.editorialmanager.com/fhs/default.aspx.
After registering, follow the submission instructions under “Instructions
for Authors” on the website. Articles may be either in English or in French
but must in either case conform to French Historical Studies style and must
be accompanied by 150-word abstracts in both French and English.
Manuscripts should be between 6,000 and 8,000 words. For any illustrations,
musical scores, and audio clips, authors must obtain written permission for
both print and online publication from the relevant persons or
institutions.

CFP deadline: 1 Sept. 2020
More information: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.societyforfrenchhistoricalstudies.net_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=vtd9dAURJLznA27DDiPp_vprtcZMjb9Gpm_fTdwjmA4&s=CYxqhVxWog9gvGR-BKifnOoQW7Eo1punmglBLc39vFw&e=