Master of Arts in Ethnomusicology at Kent State University

The Hugh A. Glauser School of Music at Kent State University invites
applications to its M.A. in ethnomusicology. Our M.A. offers teaching
assistantships with full tuition waivers and health insurance; individual
mentorship; various ensembles including African, Thai, and Trinidadian
steelpan; and a complete complement of coursework to prepare for the
discipline. Graduate students have recently completed internships at the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and entered Ph.D. programs on fully-funded
scholarships at UCLA, Florida State University, and the University of
Pittsburgh,

Our program collaborates regularly with the Dance Division and Pan-African
Studies department. Students have traveled to Thailand to study various
music traditions, and regularly present research at regional SEM chapters.
Our ensembles have performed nationally at UCLA and in Chicago, and for
international conferences including ISME in Scotland and CMS in Canada.

Ethnomusicology Faculty
Jennifer Johnstone: Cognitive Semiotics, sociohistorical aspects of music
and cultural Identity, American immigrant history, Italian-American and
Welsh communities, gender, popular music

Eve McPherson: Islam, Turkey, timbre, Middle East, Central Asia, voice
studies

Kazadi wa Mukuna: Brazil, Central Africa, semiotics

Priwan Nanongkham: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Buddhist music,
Westernization, modernization, traditional and neo-traditional music, music
identity in Southeast Asia

Andrew Shahriari: Southeast-East Asia, Thailand, special needs-autism-Down
syndrome, online education/distance learning, popular world music, rock
music history, music and spirituality, music therapy

Janine Tiffe: West Africa, African diaspora, Caribbean, Trinidad, popular
music, hip-hop, dance, race, gender, musical migration, identity, pedagogy,
performance

Deadlines
For assistantship consideration: March 1

For further information, please visit and contact
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.kent.edu_music_ma-2Dethnomusicology&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=fAKcRitcSnpR0GziYok8ZVgskpKewJqxicNzArbUNgk&s=o2XLDf1L3vKdaj2P9yWHTfgj-Gb2VctrRJBqMiIXEXk&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__catalog.kent.edu_colleges_ca_mus_ethnomusicology-2Dma_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=fAKcRitcSnpR0GziYok8ZVgskpKewJqxicNzArbUNgk&s=TivgsqbdJd-xYsF4v168sjb0qVWK-Ikbp9u92CFyG1U&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__catalog.kent.edu_colleges_ca_mus_ethnomusicology-2Dma_-23programrequirementstext&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=fAKcRitcSnpR0GziYok8ZVgskpKewJqxicNzArbUNgk&s=mjFOZMipVtPWCCw32IjnU0G_NFu-k8jNqoICkq-E-WU&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.kent.edu_music_graduate-2Dassistantships&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=fAKcRitcSnpR0GziYok8ZVgskpKewJqxicNzArbUNgk&s=P2YfleOss0lVxhkI9doldF96tyYM2j9RUH6RN9CsuLA&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.kent.edu_music&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=fAKcRitcSnpR0GziYok8ZVgskpKewJqxicNzArbUNgk&s=vV2xKOPpZEcv1OsPScL1_2EZU4kUByU5V0p59IKRDaY&e=

Michael Chunn, Graduate Coordinator - mchunn -at- kent.edu, 330-672-9234
Andrew Shahriari, Ethnomusicology Program Coordinator – ashahria -at-
kent.edu, 330-672-2830