*The Salon and the Senses in the Long Eighteenth Century:*

*Interdisciplinary Perspectives*

*April 2–3, 2020 *

*Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey*

The conference “The Salon and the Senses in the Long Eighteenth Century:
Interdisciplinary Perspectives,” will explore the sights, sounds, smells,
tastes, and tactile aspects of the salon, considering the arts and sensory
pleasures alongside the poetry, literature, theater, and conversation
cultivated there.

Salons of the long eighteenth century knew no disciplinary boundaries. More
than other institutions of the age, salonsoffered their *habitués
*opportunities
to engage with a wide range of social, cultural, artistic, literary, and
verbal practices. A multidisciplinary approach requires that we—like
salon hostesses
and guests before us—open our minds across modern intellectual boundaries
and reanimate the embodied practices of the institution. We seek to
understand the multi-sensory nature of the salon: its sights, sounds,
tastes, and smells; its conversations, texts, and subtexts.

We welcome proposals for conference presentations, performances, or
interactive sessions on topics such as:

·      Senses and sensory experience

·      Material culture, furniture, and fashion

·      Emotions and expressive culture

·      Gender, sexuality, and the body

·      Salons as sites of cultural exchange

·      Aesthetics and philosophy

·      Natural philosophy, collecting, and experimentation

·      Letters and other texts

·      Music and visual art

·      Poetry, theater, and the novel

·      Games, food, and sociability

Abstracts of up to 350 words and one-page CVs should be sent by
*September 30, 2019* to jemjones -at- sas.rutgers.edu
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sas.rutgers.edu&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=rUoME7F4g0WqP95b41oxpk_8VMq1XntJpWyp7CgQpcM&s=ysrSggiWHlpgVDSnnRlgUpbX6OaDwbZM5l2jnisrYbg&e=>.
Graduate students and early-career scholars are encouraged to apply.
Selected participants will be notified by the end of October. The
conference will be hosted by the Center for Cultural Analysis (CCA) at
Rutgers University and is convened by the CCA’s “Experiencing the Salon”
working group, led by Jennifer Jones (Department of History, jemjones -at-
sas.rutgers.edu
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__sas.rutgers.edu&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=rUoME7F4g0WqP95b41oxpk_8VMq1XntJpWyp7CgQpcM&s=ysrSggiWHlpgVDSnnRlgUpbX6OaDwbZM5l2jnisrYbg&e=>)
and Rebecca Cypess (Department of Music, rebecca.cypess -at- rutgers.edu
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rutgers.edu&d=DwMFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=rUoME7F4g0WqP95b41oxpk_8VMq1XntJpWyp7CgQpcM&s=UVaNyf7T3GpcwMyhRM4FKaIg1qoOefN3azv1JR6zV04&e=>
).