Karen, it surely does seem as if this ought to be the answer, though it isn't. I found “Show Icon Preview” checked and “Show Item Info” unchecked.

FYI, in most folders I have a group of image files that display only the generic thumbnail and in some other folders I have a group that are mixed: some display the generic version and others display the image icon. As I turn the two options  of “Show Icon Preview” and “Show Item Info” on and off for the heck of it, then wait for a few moments with “Show Icon Preview” marked, occasionally a fraction of the generic versions will suddenly switch to the image icon while I watch. But not all. And it doesn’t seem to matter whether it is a TIFF file, a PSD, or a JPEG. So I’m not quite at the solution yet.

Lynette