These are all great questions and suggestions, Karen. Here goes:

The files that don’t show an icon are old files. Newly made files seem fine. I can open an old file, do a Save As, and the file with the new name has the icon. The affected files are on all drives: the internal HD and external drives too. This said, when I investigate and look at various folders with these files I see something different happening on the internal HD and the externals. On the externals I can wait a few minutes and all the generic versions switch to the icons as I wait and watch. On the internal drive an occasional file here and there will switch, but most do not. However, once the switch happens, it stays put (i.e. it doesn’t switch back to the generic).

JPEGs, TIFFs, and PSD art files, and Word files seem to be the only files affected. Photo files shot by my camera (TIFFs, JPEGs, etc.) are not affected; these are fine. I see the generic icons also when I go into Time Machine.

I tried trashing the Finder prefs and rebooting; this didn’t change anything.

I’ve not dun Disk First Aid yet; I’ll do that now.

At least this problem isn’t as bad as it first seemed. A lot of the generic versions are switching and I can do a Save As and correct the issues one by one.

Lynette