Lynette,

Well all I can say at this point is that it’s a known issue; there is a lot of discussion about it on the web. Both for High Sierra and Mojave.

I found some other solutions which required using Terminal… but I don’t like monkeying with that unless I really know what I’m doing. Supposedly this clears the cache and fixes the problem. But many report it is only temporary and has to be repeated.

My best recommendation at this point would be to use the Finder’s column view or Bridge. And to SAVE AS when working on an older file as you are doing.

Best,