Lynette, if you view your Finder window in column view, highlight the file, the last column shows a preview of the image.

You can also use Adobe Bridge to view images in a folder.

Other than that, try playing with Finder prefs and see if that makes a difference. I’m away from my computer at the moment but will check later.

Sent from my iPhone