If you have the time, I highly recommend physically re-labeling the
specimens.

We had the same thing happen with a bunch of our specimens. They only had a
locality number and a date. We were able to figure out where each number
referred to and made new full labels for each specimen.

It’s not very elegant, but my solution was to place “-Retroactive Label-“
at the bottom of each label. In the above case, all the specimens came from
a particular collection, so we added a note ("Smith Collection" or
something like that).

I do it with det. labels, too, but don't add a note (the first specimen in
a series has a real det. label and I want to continue that for the rest of
the specimens).

Soon we are going to have to relabel specimens because the labels are
currently decaying (anyone with recommendations on how to de-acidify label
paper?). I've thought of photographing the labels and reprinting them on
archival paper, or transcribing them, or printing the transcription on the
back side of the photo.

See attached pdf for the sign I put on the cabinets to explain what's going
on.

Cheers,

Mike

--
Michael L. Ferro
Dept. of Plant and Environmental Sciences