*The Frederic S. Lee Heterodox Economics Scholarship Fund*

*Call for Contributions*

Fred Lee fought hard to build and maintain the community of heterodox
economists since he believed that a future of heterodox economics hinged
upon all the efforts we make to develop heterodox economics and to educate
students. As Bruce Cronin said: “He was not content to be an armchair
academic but built institutions to carry heterodox research and teaching
forward independently of any individuals.... On hearing of his cancer
diagnosis, Fred’s reaction was not to wallow in regret but to immediately
establish a Heterodox Economics Scholarship Fund, to support graduate
students studying in heterodox economics.”

The Frederic S. Lee Heterodox Economics Scholarship Fund was established in
2014 with a sizable contribution from Fred and Ruth Lee, along with
contributions from many others. In the five years since his death, the Fund
has awarded over $41,000 in scholarships to a total of 13 PhD students at
several universities. These students have been studying at the University
of Missouri–Kansas City, the New School for Social Research, and American
University.

A scholarship recipient said that:

"After I found out I wasn’t going to receive the GTA position I wasn’t
exactly sure what I was going to do. I was considering taking a break and
saving money, but now I can continue seamlessly from my undergraduate into
my graduate studies, which is ultimately the best option. I look forward to
my studies and their challenges, and I look forward to expanding my mind
and experiencing new things. And although I have never met him, I feel
proud of knowing I have this scholarship in the name of Fred Lee, he’s
basically a legend in the heterodox economics world, and even more, to be
going to UMKC where he taught and helped transform the department, and now
I’m in it for the long haul, not just for my graduate studies."

Another recipient also appreciated the scholarship.

"I was very happy and appreciative to learn that I was selected as the
recipient of your scholarship. I was admitted to PhD Economics program at
the New School for Social Research; however, due to the limited funding I
was only awarded 50% tuition remission scholarship from the school.
Therefore, this scholarship is very important to me to fund my expense to
continue my study in the heterodox economics field. You have lightened my
financial burden which allows me to focus more on the most important aspect
of school, learning. Your generosity has inspired me to help others and
give back to the community. I hope one day I will be able to help students
achieve their goals just as you have helped me."

In order to continue to support graduate students who will be the future of
heterodox economics, the Scholarship Fund will need to generate more funds.
Your contribution is greatly appreciated. Donations can be made at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gkccfonlinedonations.org_give_leeh00.asp&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=ocx4mfyczUGLO2U2qHA86drC2pI7KhA1EHPb3oc-STs&s=h8LkmeZzGrBulJlZLwBepGmTUMJvotR0d9IjDYmcEgw&e= .

*Call for Applications *

The Frederic S. Lee Heterodox Economics Scholarship Fund is now accepting
applications for the Spring 2020 semester. In order to be eligible,
students must be enrolled in a doctoral heterodox economics program in the
United States and demonstrate financial need. The fund will not provide
scholarship aid for dissertation credit hours or for credit hours that are
not directly relevant for the completion of the doctoral program’s course
work. More information including the selection criteria and the on-line
application can be found at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.growyourgiving.org_scholarships_frederic-2Ds-2Dlee-2Dheterodox-2Deconomics-2Dscholarship-2Dfund&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=LtbujWNPdbzw6j8eq9-RJVMBctp9ndCoqGEy57VsNLQ&m=ocx4mfyczUGLO2U2qHA86drC2pI7KhA1EHPb3oc-STs&s=LAJoDU4WOLxDYFJsBCEReaGjac6BaFGqhk66uUgQlhA&e= .
The deadline for the Spring 2020 application is *November 15, 2019*. Please
forward this call to eligible students.