The Black Studies Program at Swarthmore College invites applications for an
open rank, tenure track position specializing in African-American and/or
African-diasporic musics and their cultures. In addition to applicants with
advanced interdisciplinary training in Africana, African American, or Black
Studies, we welcome applications from musicologists, ethnomusicologists,
historians, and others whose work evinces humanistic approaches to the
theories, histories, cultures, and aesthetics of jazz, as well as other
black vernacular musics. Because this appointment is in Black Studies, the
committee seeks candidates with the demonstrated ability to teach our
introductory and capstone courses, along with a broad range of other Black
Studies courses reflecting their research interests; we also seek
candidates who will contribute to the leadership and future direction of
the Program. This appointment will begin on 15 Aug 2020, with a 2/2
teaching load, a generous leave policy, and a salary commensurate with
qualifications.

Now celebrating its fiftieth anniversary, the Black Studies Program at
Swarthmore College is a vibrant interdisciplinary unit that maintains
strong working relationships with departments and programs across the
College, as well as the Black Cultural Center, the Intercultural Center,
and the Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility. Due to the
interdisciplinary nature of our program, we draw our majors and minors from
students whose interests vary by methodology and approach. While there is
no requirement to do so, nearly all students take at least one Black
Studies course during their time at Swarthmore, demonstrating our
significant reach throughout the curriculum and the wider campus community.

The successful candidate will have a PhD in hand by 1 July 2020, a broad
range of research and teaching interests anchored in Black Studies, and
enthusiasm for cross-departmental collaboration. The strongest candidates
will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to creative teaching and an
active research program that speaks to and motivates undergraduates from
diverse backgrounds.

Please submit a cover letter detailing your research agenda, teaching
interests, and other qualifications for the position, a CV, and 3 letters
of recommendation. Applications received by 4 Nov 2019 will receive our
fullest consideration. Please address any inquiries to Dr. Anthony S. Foy
afoy1+blstsearch -at- swarthmore.edu.

More information: apply.interfolio.com/68697