Experience :: Music :: Experiment

Pragmatism and Artistic Research

13-14 February 2020

Orpheus Institute (Ghent, BE)

“Truth happens to an idea.” So wrote William James in 1907; and he
continued “[truth] becomes true, is made true by events.” James was not
thinking of musical performance or of artistic research, but his assertion
would seem to apply equally or more so to those domains—domains with which
the Orpheus Institute is primarily concerned. Truths in performance are
only created and apprehended in the process of performing; and
understanding that process constitutes the domain of what we call “artistic
research.” Experience :: Music :: Experiment, an Orpheus seminar to be held
on February 13 and 14, 2020, begins with these observations and continues
by asking questions like: What follows? What other aspects of pragmatism
apply to our field of study? In performance,
in research, what is the relationship between experience and experiment?
Can pragmatism illuminate other performative relationships—between habit
and creativity, between notation and embodied knowledge, between selves and
practices, between history and innovation?

We invite proposals for presentations of any kinds, from scholarly papers
to performances. The seminar will open at 16:00 (Central European time) on
Thursday with a keynote address by Richard Shusterman. It will close on
Friday at 18:30. All sessions will consist of twenty-minute presentations
with ten minutes of discussion.

All papers will be considered for publication as part of an edited
collection to be issued by Leuven University Press in 2021. A concert—or a
series of performances—is contemplated for Thursday evening; interested
participants need not present a paper as such, but some text linking the
performance to pragmatism is necessary. An open, collaborative spirit of
inquiry is encouraged throughout.

We invite proposals (300 words maximum) for either papers or performances.
Enquiries should be sent to William Brooks at william.brooks -at-
orpheusinstituut.be or w.f.brooks -at- york.ac.uk. Please upload proposals
here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__airtable.com_shrzAVcIyk2K3RlXW&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=Sc8eHJu8fk5iNu81HwF_XTtFj_kcZ-CH6yBLCkI9930&s=-_STE1GCCzzGMd7hvCeNFFxYarDqiU8PXgMVCbfH0_M&e= . s

The deadline for receipt of proposals is Monday 18 November 2019, 17:00 UK
time. Applicants will be notified of the decisions by Friday 6 December
2019.

More information:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__orpheusinstituut.be_en_news-2Dand-2Devents_call-2Dfor-2Dproposals-2Dexperience-2Dmusic-2Dexperiment&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=Sc8eHJu8fk5iNu81HwF_XTtFj_kcZ-CH6yBLCkI9930&s=d3YDvYmEGnTUpIdZQHu4amKMKRwr2QGHoIYqOoUojQo&e=