The Temple University Theory, History, and Ethnomusicology Society (THEMUS)
invites paper proposals for its seventh annual graduate conference on
Saturday, 4 April 2020. Research relating to any fields of music theory,
history, and ethnomusicology will be considered. In addition, we welcome
proposals on music perception and cognition, jazz and improvisation, and
computer applications in music for an afternoon session on Friday, 3 April
2020, which will be dedicated to the late music theorist Dr. Aleck
Brinkman. Proposals should be designed for a 20-minute
presentation/10-minute discussion format.

Our keynote speakers will be Professor Elizabeth West Marvin of Eastman
School of Music (Friday) and Professor Kevin Fellezs of Columbia University
(Saturday). Professor Marvin has written numerous articles on music
cognition, music theory pedagogy, theory and analysis of atonal music,
contour theory, history of theory, and analysis and performance. She is the
co-author of three undergraduate music theory textbooks, including the W.
W. Norton’s "A Musician’s Guide to Theory and Analysis." Professor Fellezs
is the author of "Birds of Fire: Jazz, Rock, Funk and the Creation of
Fusion" (Duke University Press). He will be releasing his new book "Listen
But Don’t Ask Questions: Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Across the TransPacific"
(Duke University Press) in December 2019. He has also written articles and
essays on jazz, popular music, and Asian American popular culture.

Please visit the conference URL(
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_a_temple.edu_themus_graduate-2Dconference&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=yWa2N4dE409dxCIhqOa6txZcvoT7Asps2jKy3civOlo&s=uO7JUUBwQIBp4gw-0sjRWB9bC5aveBsDPdXqnC20FxM&e= ) for
submission instructions and other conference details.

With Best Wishes,

THEMUS Executive Board

Lydia Huang, Conference Chair
Matthew Kiple, President