What does Democracy Sound Like? Music and Political Democratisation in Late
Twentieth Century (University of Huddersfield, 18-19 June 2020)

Convenors: Igor Contreras Zubillaga (University of Huddersfield) and Robert
Adlington (University of Huddersfield)

Keynote speaker: Marina Frolova-Walker (University of Cambridge)

This event aims to innovatively question how musical practices formed ways
of imagining democracy in the democratic transitions that took place after
Portugal’s ‘Carnation Revolution’ in 1974 – what Huntington (1991) called
the ‘third wave’ of democratisation, which involves more than 60 countries
throughout Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Rather than
studying music’s
diverse deployments within these political contexts (music ‘in’ transitions
to democracy), these study days place the emphasis upon ways in which music
embodies democratisation processes and participates in the wider social
struggle to define freedom and equality for the post-authoritarian era (hence
the ‘and’ in the title of the event). How did musical practices instantiate
ideas of democracy in these political contexts? Inversely, how did such
democratic values inform musical practice? How did musicians negotiate
between creative autonomy and social responsibility? And more broadly, what
is the role of culture in a transition to democracy?

We invite proposals from scholars working in any discipline for papers
exploring these and related questions in relation to any musical practice.
Papers will be 30-minutes in length followed by 15 minutes of discussion
time, to enable the fullest exchange. Please submit proposals (250-300
words) to I.ContrerasZubillaga -at- hud.ac.uk by the deadline *Friday 31
January 2020*.

Full Call for Papers is available here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__musicdemocracystudydays.wordpress.com_cfp-2Dstudy-2Ddays-2D2020_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=ZMYUM2zYJ7BHZMUSI1IIkL0X_4aotdaB8GJuetqxcSA&s=nGjd5LQsCOVgfDaOuo751DfMm_gDhKqmjYTbpgRlS9g&e=