The Black Studies Program at Swarthmore College invites applications for an open rank, tenure track position specializing in African-American and/or African-diasporic musics and their cultures. In addition to applicants with advanced interdisciplinary training in Africana, African American, or Black Studies, we welcome applications from musicologists, ethnomusicologists, historians, and others whose work evinces humanistic approaches to the theories, histories, cultures, and aesthetics of jazz, as well as other black vernacular musics. Because this appointment is in Black Studies, the committee seeks candidates with the demonstrated ability to teach our introductory and capstone courses, along with a broad range of other Black Studies courses reflecting their research interests; we also seek candidates who will contribute to the leadership and future direction of the Program. This appointment will begin on 15 Aug 2020, with a 2/2 teaching load, a generous leave policy, and a salary commensurate with qualifications.

Now celebrating its fiftieth anniversary, the Black Studies Program at Swarthmore College is a vibrant interdisciplinary unit that maintains strong working relationships with departments and programs across the College, as well as the Black Cultural Center, the Intercultural Center, and the Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility. Due to the interdisciplinary nature of our program, we draw our majors and minors from students whose interests vary by methodology and approach. While there is no requirement to do so, nearly all students take at least one Black Studies course during their time at Swarthmore, demonstrating our significant reach throughout the curriculum and the wider campus community.

The successful candidate will have a PhD in hand by 1 July 2020, a broad range of research and teaching interests anchored in Black Studies, and enthusiasm for cross-departmental collaboration. The strongest candidates will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to creative teaching and an active research program that speaks to and motivates undergraduates from diverse backgrounds.

Please submit a cover letter detailing your research agenda, teaching interests, and other qualifications for the position, a CV, and 3 letters of recommendation. Applications received by 4 Nov 2019 will receive our fullest consideration. Please address any inquiries to Dr. Anthony S. Foy afoy1+blstsearch -at- swarthmore.edu.

More information: apply.interfolio.com/68697