A really old case from Germany (the German Wiki has some more pics, also of insects):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beringer%27s_Lying_Stones
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BCrzburger_L%C3%BCgensteine
http://qvcproject.blogspot.com/2013/03/lithographiae-wirceburgensis-ducentis.html

Cheers
Martin

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 1:29 PM Andy Deans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,
Our campus museums consortium is assembling a series of exhibits on "real vs. fake objects/histories in a museum setting" including forgeries, fabrications, and frauds (but also replicas and reinterpretations).

I am aware of some entomological examples, like this fossil fly:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14018990-400-fatal-flaw-fingers-fake-fossil-fly/
And Protapteron:
https://books.google.com/books?id=B8vmBQAAQBAJ&lpg=PA193&ots=QLs0BQjgPh&dq=Protapteron%20indicum&pg=PA193#v=onepage&q=Protapteron%20indicum&f=false

And maybe Richard Meinertzhagen's frauds touched on entomology, specifically lice?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Meinertzhagen

Are you aware of any others that would be worth highlighting?

Thankful for any exciting tales,
Andy Deans
Frost Entomological Museum

--
Dr. Martin Hauser
Senior Insect Biosystematist

38°28’38”N 121°28’10”

"Nothing is static. Everything is evolving. Everything is falling apart.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club