I love the idea of doing something specifically GNSI for non-grownups. I know I'm on a personal quest to make sure ppl find out about combining science and art before they hit 23 (which is how old I was when I found out). I've been teaching sciart thru presentations to from 2nd graders to retirees. I think the first step may be to gather and sort all the resources all of us members have and share already.

Also, I wanted to share the way I got word out to youngsters. I wrote and illustrated an article for MUSE magazine last January which highlighted drawing underwater in  Antarctica with a sidebar on being a scientific illustrator. MUSE is science themed and geared for 9-14 year olds.

I'm happy to share the full article in jpegs (pretty sure I can't attach them on the list serv) with anyone that emails me off list. Here is the sidebar text about being a sciart-er:

Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Natural Science Illustrator?

If you are passionate about both art and science, the answer is
YES. One of the most important things you can do to practice is
carry a sketchbook and capture your everyday experiences by drawing and writing
down what you observe. The pages can be a very messy
and unfinished, or they might have a perfect drawing or an
answered question. Often, it isn’t what ends up on the page
that matters. It’s the discoveries made through the process.
A sketchbook is your personal encyclopedia.
Try this: sit down, take three deep breaths, and set a
timer for 60 seconds. During that time, do nothing but
observe your surroundings using your eyes, ears, and nose.
Then, on a blank page describe everything you perceived—
what colors did you see? Did anything move? How big or
small were things you saw? What kinds of sounds did you
hear? How loud were they? Describe the smells. Did you
feel the heat of the sun or the breeze on your skin? Can
you draw what you saw? Maybe you sketch the scene or
draw one object. Write down your thoughts, and finish up
by recording the date, time, and location. A sketchbook
develops our abilities to see the world. Observing,
recording, and interpreting and sharing what we experience
develops a curiosity and passion for understanding the
natural world and our relationship with it. The sketchbook is
the tool used by scientific illustrators to fathom the
world as explorers and share it with others through art.