The oldest specimen that has been digitized is from 1957 in Texas and is in the ASU collection.  None of the specimens digitized were collected near Mobile.  Clearly more work needs to be done. Below are all the records before 1970 in the US.

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Gotzek, Dietrich
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Earliest specimens of Solenopsis invicta in USA

Hi,

Ken Ross and I are interested in (non-destructively) genotyping the earliest specimens of the Red Imported Fire Ant, Solenopsis invicta, in the USA. These would be from the 1930’s, 40’s, and early 50’s from “around” Mobile, AL (LA, MS, AL, GA, FL). We would greatly appreciate anyone helping us getting such samples for our study. Since this is a population genetic study, we require as many (independent) samples as we can get our hands on, so every specimen counts.

Thanks in advance and happy Thanksgiving!

Best regards,

Dietrich

Dietrich Gotzek

Department of Entomology