University of Toronto Graduate Music Conference CALL FOR PAPERS

Friday March 6 (evening) – Sunday March 8 (morning/afternoon), 2020
Faculty of Music, University of Toronto

The University of Toronto Music Graduate Students’ Association is pleased to announce our annual Graduate Music Conference, which will take place March 6-8, 2020. The program committee invites students to submit proposals for twenty-minute paper presentations, with a ten-minute question period to follow each presentation. We encourage the submission of papers on all genres of music and in any area of music research, including, but not limited to, musicology, music theory, ethnomusicology, performance, music education, composition, and music technology. Proposals for thirty-minute lecture- recitals are encouraged as well. We also invite applicants to submit proposals for themed sessions of 2- 3 papers. In this case, please include an abstract describing the proposed session as well as individual abstracts for each paper.

Abstracts must be limited to 250 words; submissions should include the title of the paper, but not any information that could personally identify the author, nor any supplementary material. Please email abstracts, in both .docx and .pdf format, to utorontogradmusicconference -at- gmail.com no later than December 31st, 2019. In the body of the submission email, please include your name, institutional affiliation, preferred email address, and phone number. Standard audio/visual equipment and a piano will be made available to all presenters, though you must supply any other necessary instruments, mixers, amplifiers, etc. Authors of accepted abstracts will be notified by email beginning in mid- January 2020. Please direct any inquiries to the conference email address. We look forward to receiving your proposals!

We are proud to welcome Dr. Noriko Manabe to deliver our keynote presentation at this year’s conference. Dr. Manabe is Associate Professor of Music Studies at the Boyer College of Music and Dance, Temple University, and holds a PhD in both ethnomusicology and music theory from CUNY Graduate Center. Her research focuses on music and social movements, popular music, and music and trauma, particularly in Japan, Latin America, and the U.S.