The School for Studies in Art & Culture at Carleton University (Ottawa,
Canada) welcomes applications for our M.A. in Music and Culture. Successful
applicants receive scholarships and full teaching assistantships, with the
opportunity for external scholarships. We offer a two-year program with
three streams: thesis, major research essay, and course-work only.

The M.A. provides students with unique opportunities to explore various
musical practices and theories of culture, and music as culture. The
program is grounded in the practices of diverse musics, conducted from a
wide range of interdisciplinary theoretical approaches, including critical
theory, cultural studies, feminism and gender studies, sociology, and
post/de-colonialism. Ours was the first program in Canada to offer courses
in popular music, and we remain at the cutting edge of music and sound
studies.

Students in the M.A. have received scholarship funding from such sources as
the Social Sciences and Humanities Council of Canada and the Ontario
Graduate Scholarship program. Graduates of the program have pursued PhD
studies in prestigious programs and obtained positions in the federal
government, as arts administrators, and as music librarians.

Our academic strengths cover:
• Music and Media Studies
• Ethnomusicology
• Popular Music Studies
• Critical Improvisation Studies
• Community Music
• Music in Canada

Our full-time faculty include:
• James Deaville: historical musicology, music and media, music and
disability, 19th-century music
• William Echard: popular music studies, musical signification, critical
theory
• Anna Hoefnagels: ethnomusicology, First Peoples’ music, music of Canada,
music and gender
• Alexis Luko, film music, Medieval and Renaissance music, opera, gender,
music and media
• James McGowan: composition, music theory, jazz, jazz harmony, community
music
• Carolyn Ramzy: musics of the Middle East, ethnomusicology, gender,
performative politics
• Jesse Stewart: critical improvisation studies; jazz studies; hip hop
studies; music and visual culture; music and social justice; experimental
music
• Paul Théberge: media studies, history of sound recording, digital
technology
• Ellen Waterman: ethnomusicology, performance studies, acoustic ecology,
music and gender, critical improvisation studies
• James Wright: 20th century music, Canadian film music, composition, music
perception/cognition

Please send inquiries to James.Deaville -at- Carleton.ca.

Website for more information:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__carleton.ca_music_graduate-2Dstudies_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=PHu0YcldevQqIedM86l0iexbqE-AeZLl-lupNToNx6I&m=iBZdYquCaG-owzPioCVYponBxzXyMIEt9UJGnwHDUnM&s=47wcqLviJfRE5c6BZxCnTVYwprTZKDgDLN-IcbCFBfI&e=