University of Toronto Graduate Music Conference CALL FOR PAPERS

Friday March 6 (evening) – Sunday March 8 (morning/afternoon), 2020
Faculty of Music, University of Toronto

The University of Toronto Music Graduate Students’ Association is pleased
to announce our annual Graduate Music Conference, which will take place
March 6-8, 2020. The program committee invites students to submit proposals
for twenty-minute paper presentations, with a ten-minute question period to
follow each presentation. We encourage the submission of papers on all
genres of music and in any area of music research, including, but not
limited to, musicology, music theory, ethnomusicology, performance, music
education, composition, and music technology. Proposals for thirty-minute
lecture- recitals are encouraged as well. We also invite applicants to
submit proposals for themed sessions of 2- 3 papers. In this case, please
include an abstract describing the proposed session as well as individual
abstracts for each paper.

Abstracts must be limited to 250 words; submissions should include the
title of the paper, but not any information that could personally identify
the author, nor any supplementary material. Please email abstracts, in both
.docx and .pdf format, to utorontogradmusicconference -at- gmail.com no
later than December 31st, 2019. In the body of the submission email, please
include your name, institutional affiliation, preferred email address, and
phone number. Standard audio/visual equipment and a piano will be made
available to all presenters, though you must supply any other necessary
instruments, mixers, amplifiers, etc. Authors of accepted abstracts will be
notified by email beginning in mid- January 2020. Please direct any
inquiries to the conference email address. We look forward to receiving
your proposals!

We are proud to welcome Dr. Noriko Manabe to deliver our keynote
presentation at this year’s conference. Dr. Manabe is Associate Professor
of Music Studies at the Boyer College of Music and Dance, Temple
University, and holds a PhD in both ethnomusicology and music theory from
CUNY Graduate Center. Her research focuses on music and social movements,
popular music, and music and trauma, particularly in Japan, Latin America,
and the U.S.