Insects handle shaking very well - Jason Dombroskie at Cornell has
shake-plate tested insects with surprising results. Jason, do you have that
video online somewhere or is that being written up? Consider after all we
ship these specimens across the world with little to no damage. Compactors
seem to also help mitigate the shaking.

"Also, quakes often bring fire...."

That's why the room is a concrete vault. If that's on fire we'll all be
dead! ha

Chris

Christopher C. Grinter
*Collections Manager of Entomology, The California Academy of Sciences*
*President, Entomological Collections Network*
*Assistant Secretary & Asst. Treasurer, The Lepidopterists' Society*
55 Music Concourse Drive
San Francisco, CA 94118
office: 415-379-5320