I worked with Gary Miller on recurating the aphid type collection and I can attest that the gun safe door was slightly less wide than the top and bottom of the two slide cabinets (this model: https://www.amazon.com/Eberbach-E2845-Microscope-Cabinet-Slides/dp/B00C2VE82Q) that we stacked one on top of the other inside the safe. Whether it was a mis-measuring of the door or a mis-measuring of the cabinet that caused the problem, I cannot say, although in a sense I suppose it had to have been both. However, he and I loaded the cabinets on my table saw and took off about half an inch on both sides of the top and bottom and were thus able to install the cabinets without any further complication. Cheer, Colin

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 7:24 PM Furth, David <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The purchase of the first safe (another was recently received) for housing the types of U.S. National Aphid Collection quite a few years ago was first proposed by Gary Miller (Contact Person, a.k.a. curator of aphids).  We thought this was a good idea so the NMNH Collections Committee (SI, SEL, DOD) approved funding to purchase this.  I'm not sure of the details from Michael are correct, but I've copied Gary Miller here.

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Skvarla, Michael Joseph <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: type cabinets

External Email - Exercise Caution

The Smithsonian aphid type slides, which are kept at the USDA-ARS Systematic Entomology Lab in Beltsville, MD, are housed in a fireproof gun safe. After the safe was installed, the slide cabinets had to be modified to fit inside as they were a bit too wide for the door opening (the story I heard is that they only measured the inside dimensions of the safe and not the door opening, which wasn't quite as wide, whoops). Gun safes come in all manner of shapes and sizes, so there's certainly one that has a door wide enough to accept a drawer of pinned specimens. You'd just have to rig up some kind of bracket system to hold the drawers.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Skvarla, Ph.D.
Insect Identifier and Extension Educator
Department of Entomology
Penn State University