I generally lurk on here, but....Peter's question is excellent. The first
response is....disingenuous to put it politely.

Seems to me to be a case of "you get what you pay for."  I think it is a
horribly sad state of affairs that we do not have adequate funding to
employ actual scientists to do the work, but then complain that what
students and other volunteers produce is essentially garbage.

Full disclosure:  I am a college dropout.  Part of the reason for that was
that I found the abstraction to be intolerable.  I was being asked to
create ecosystem models, apply formulas, etc, which tore me away from the
living, breathing organisms that got me excited about science in the first
place.  I also experienced bullying, even by one professor, for finding
excitement in discovering an insect under a board instead of a reptile or
amphibian (on field trips).

You begin dissing volunteer work at our collective peril.  You should be
glad that anyone takes an interest in trying to help.  So, let's indeed set
some standards and get on with it.

End rant.

Eric R. Eaton
Lead author, *Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America*
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bugeric.blogspot.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=f86cJ_bJi847znoKKfmBOFxL3-95nvLXO_RNIazrbmQ&s=OQQtdlNANPVW9GhHGWYV1-F_zcJWTst-sjKY_dAdxUM&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_people_7519633-40N08_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=f86cJ_bJi847znoKKfmBOFxL3-95nvLXO_RNIazrbmQ&s=12GnpyqOIyZfMUDS4sfOf8FA3vNM7dRkucVJvD1yQkA&e=