Hi Michael,

I think you are asking about artists visiting the museum to create “art,” and not asking about what to do with images produced by researchers at the museum; correct?

I think issuing a contract, requesting a proposal and charging an appropriate fee/accepting a donation is important in validating that the artist is an active creative professional.  Otherwise, photography being such a large commercial hobby, you may have visitors more prone to mishandling and damaging specimens, especially if it’s simply for the prospect of selling images to a Hilton or Best Western.

I had worked with an artist, Fiona Pardington, a few years back to complete an artwork modeled after Vladimir Nabokov and his butterflies.  Prior to accessing the specimens, Fiona drafted a proposals (detailed in links below) on the aesthetic significance in addition to making a suitable contribution and/or paying an hourly rate to all 3 institutions visited.  This allowed her and I access to the lepidoptera and historical document collections.  They were at Cornell University, New York Public Library and Natural History Museum in Lausanne Switzerland.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ocula.com_art-2Dgalleries_starkwhite_exhibitions_nabokovs-2Dblues-2Dthe-2Dcharmed-2Dcircle_&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=oO-bOfHdLQoXyJcH3ZNXBDA0jO1Z-PKYyDISDAekdcM&s=LRU-_OdTwM9AOhLrAQSpbGI7hwy82Ham7AFvZyjEwTw&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.metromag.co.nz_arts_arts-2Dart-2Dcity_fiona-2Dpardingtons-2Dnew-2Dexhibition-2Dexplores-2Dnabokovs-2Dlust-2Dfor-2Dbutterflies&d=DwIFaQ&c=Cu5g146wZdoqVuKpTNsYHeFX_rg6kWhlkLF8Eft-wwo&r=-lUMCZ4RK28H4qvcd3vmEBuyVJHHG0OpDzFenR9wX-A&m=oO-bOfHdLQoXyJcH3ZNXBDA0jO1Z-PKYyDISDAekdcM&s=jCsq-DU2RmZMZD99HWIxrQO2sI3HzOOU603p3w9hS5Y&e=

Hope this might provide some insight.  Happy Holidays!

Mark
--
Mark R Smith, M.S.
MACROSCOPICSOLUTIONS, LLC