Insects handle shaking very well - Jason Dombroskie at Cornell has shake-plate tested insects with surprising results. Jason, do you have that video online somewhere or is that being written up? Consider after all we ship these specimens across the world with little to no damage. Compactors seem to also help mitigate the shaking.

"Also, quakes often bring fire...."

That's why the room is a concrete vault. If that's on fire we'll all be dead! ha

Chris

Christopher C. Grinter
Collections Manager of Entomology, The California Academy of Sciences
President, Entomological Collections Network
Assistant Secretary & Asst. Treasurer, The Lepidopterists' Society
55 Music Concourse Drive
San Francisco, CA 94118
office: 415-379-5320