The main concern I would have with types (or the rest of the collection for that matter) in the event of fire is the sprinklers coming on and getting everything wet.  I believe the gun safe solution at ARS relates mainly to the fact that there have been various leaks and floods in the collection over the years, and the safe is water proof as well as fire proof.  Some sophisticated, purpose built collection buildings, such as Naturalis in Leiden, have systems that evacuate all the air from the collection space in two minutes or something like that, and eliminate the need for water-based fire suppression.  But here in the US, collections usually wind up in the most decrepit, marginally inhabitable space left over, after spaces for exhibits, labs and offices have been claimed.

Cheers,

Andy

From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Skvarla, Michael Joseph
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: type cabinets

The Smithsonian aphid type slides, which are kept at the USDA-ARS Systematic Entomology Lab in Beltsville, MD, are housed in a fireproof gun safe. After the safe was installed, the slide cabinets had to be modified to fit inside as they were a bit too wide for the door opening (the story I heard is that they only measured the inside dimensions of the safe and not the door opening, which wasn't quite as wide, whoops). Gun safes come in all manner of shapes and sizes, so there's certainly one that has a door wide enough to accept a drawer of pinned specimens. You'd just have to rig up some kind of bracket system to hold the drawers.

Best regards,

Michael

Michael Skvarla, Ph.D.
Insect Identifier and Extension Educator
Department of Entomology
Penn State University